Formed in 1924
Our church is a direct result of the Mission interest that brought the Moravians from Pennsylvania to Bethabara, North Carolina in 1753. Our mother church, Bethania congregation (est. 1759), held the first Moravian service in King at the school building on July 6, 1924. Rev. Douglas L. Rights and Rev. Edgar A. Holton conducted the service.
Our congregation was organized on October 5, 1924 at the home (our present church office) of Simeon W. and Lula Grabs Pulliam, with fifteen charter members. It was revealed that a large lot had been given by Simeon and Lula Grabs Pulliam for a chapel in the center of town. Brother Ernest H. Stockton and Rev. F. Walter Grabs would over see the work. Preaching services were started immediately.
1925 Church Home Built
The first brick for the church was laid on April 27, 1925 costing less than $6,000 to complete the build. The first service was conducted on October 4, 1925. Over 250 attended the first Christmas Lovefeast and Candle Service that year.
The first burial in our graveyard, located on East King Street, was Benjamin F. Pulliam, father of Mrs. Lennis Stone on July 14, 1929. In 1941 Rev. David Weinland held the first annual Moravian Easter Dawn Sunrise Service in our God's Acre which continues to this day.
1964 First Full-time Pastor
The church office (formally the parsonage) was built in 1909 and willed to our church at the death of Mrs. Lula Pulliam in 1942. The pastors lived out of town and served from two to three other congregations. The Rev. J. Calvin Barnes family were the first occupants of the parsonage. Our first full-time pastor was the Rev. Jimmie L. Newsom, Sr. in 1964.
1992 New Sanctuary Built
A building fund was established in 1983 for a new sanctuary and fellowship hall, $300,000 was raised before construction began. July 12, 1992 a ground breaking service was held and construction began. Laying of the new cornerstone by Bishop George C. Higgins was held April 18, 1993. The dedication of the new sanctuary and fellowship hall took place June 27, 1993 with 286 in attendance. The cost of our new sanctuary and fellowship hall is estimated $878,000.
1993 Preschool Is Opened
September 1, 1993, a new ministry, King Moravian Preschool, began with Jonie Moser as Director. In keeping with the Moravian belief in strong, early education, the preschool's program emphasizes music, social skills and an appreciation of cultural diversity.